Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Small challenges of conversation

There is a steady trend lately I've noticed in my conversations and observations with other people. Sometimes I



don't hear what they say to me, when it clashes with my own beliefs and values or my internal alarms. I became acutely aware of this Tuesday night when a girlfriend and I were out eating at McAlisters and we met two seasoned ladies.  Now the time had with them was great, I left feeling rested. Surprisingly.  But they were female ministers and pastors.  And just from my own beliefs about that particular issue whenever they would say something about it, my internal noise would drown them out.  Shameful, I know. But I've noticed it in reading blog posts by other people and talking to some of my friends about differentiating views or things that I "see" in other ways.  So, being aware of it, I need to work on it.  I expect people to value different things, to have their own way of life, and just because it clashes with mine doesn't necessarily mean I have to give them a mental side-eye. It just means that we're different in some ways and that in itself is part of the spice of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment